top of page

Avoiding Vehicular Forfeiture in Long Island

Let Austin Law Associates, P.C. Help You Keep Your Vehicle - Call Now

Did you know that Nassau County can start a court action to seize your vehicle? Did you know that a drunk driving conviction could result in a civil judgment against you that can impact your credit? At Austin Law Associates, P.C., we know it doesn’t seem fair that they can try to take your car. The good news is that you can defend against it, but you need to know your rights or find someone who does. Call our Long Island vehicle forfeiture lawyer today to learn more.

Dial now to schedule your free consultation with Austin Law Associates, P.C. We serve clients in Nassau County, Suffolk County, Brooklyn, and Queens.

Why Do They Want Your Car?

Being caught driving under the influence can have severe penalties, and Nassau County may have the harshest ones. The County may attempt to take your vehicle even if this is only your first DWI/DUI offense. What most people do not know is that this is the County’s third revision of the law; the first two statutes were challenged on constitutional grounds, then repealed and/or rewritten. Austin Law Associates, P.C. knows the laws and can be your advocate to save your car.

There are many ways to avoid losing your vehicle, such as:

  • If you are not the owner of the car, you may be eligible for the return of your vehicle based on a defense of an “innocent owner.”

  • If the loss of your vehicle would result in a hardship, you may be eligible to keep your car based on a “hardship defense.”

  • The law provides that the County must notify you at the time of your arrest or soon thereafter that your vehicle is eligible for seizure. If they did not do this, you may be eligible to keep your car.

  • Make sure you received proper notice after your arrest by certified mail—not just 120 days later taped to your door.

  • Make sure the county filed the civil suit correctly. We can help research this for you.

  • If you lease or finance your vehicle, check your lease/finance agreement to make sure you haven’t defaulted on your contract. You can also bring it to us to look over.

Contact us for a free consultation. We can review your paperwork, explain the laws and inform you of your rights. Call us at or contact us online.

bottom of page