Drug Crimes Defense Lawyer in Long Island
Keep Your Criminal Record Clean with Effective Legal Advocacy
Mistakes can happen to anyone. For many people, being charged with a crime is a pivotal moment that helps them re-evaluate their choices and begin moving in the right direction. If you were charged with a drug crime, it may be the only wakeup call you need to make sure it never happens again. By working with Austin Law Associates, P.C., you can increase your chances at building a prosperous future that doesn’t involve a prison sentence. Call our firm today and schedule your free consultation to get started on defending yourself.
For a free consultation with a Long Island criminal defense lawyer, call (516) 548-5996 or contact us online. We serve clients in Nassau County, Suffolk County, Brooklyn, and Queens.
Drug Laws in New York
Consequences for drug possession can include:
- Marijuana possession under 28 g: Fine of at least $250 and a possible jail sentence no longer than 15 days.
- Possession of 500 mg or more of a controlled substance: Class D felony with prison sentences of up to two and a half years.
- Possession with intent to sell: This will depend on the amount and type of drug, but could be charged as a Class A felony with a fine of up to $100,000 and a prison sentence of at least 8 years.
Defending Yourself Successfully
At Austin Law Associates, P.C., our priority is to make sure you are treated fairly and that you get the representation you deserve. The U.S. legal system is intended to give each person a chance to tell their side of the story and protect their name and reputation. Our firm can help you demonstrate that you deserve a second chance.
Some possible drug defense strategies include:
- Lack of knowledge: If you truly didn’t know there were drugs on your person or in your vehicle when you were arrested, we may be able to show how.
- Lawful possession: Sometimes, police officers make the mistake of arresting people who did not break the law. We may be able to help you show that the substances you were caught with did not violate the law in the way the police reported.
- Insufficient quantity: It is not reasonable to put a person in prison for a negligible quantity of drugs. We can help you show that you are not a danger to society because you were caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Infancy: Young people make mistakes. For those under 19 who are charged with drug crimes, it is important that they get help to correct their path and move forward with a healthy life. We can help.
- Special drug courts: Many people who have been charged with a drug crime are dealing with addiction. The drug courts focus on placing some defendants between 16 and 21 years old in treatment programs.
Schedule Your Free Consultation
Let Austin Law Associates, P.C. help you protect your future. We can meet with you and go over your defense strategy. The sooner you get started, the better your chances will be at obtaining a favorable outcome.
Call (516) 548-5996 now to get started.
Over 25 Years of Experience
Thousands of Cases Handled
We Only Practice Criminal Defense
Strong Relationships in the Local Courts
Free Initial Consultations